Best dog food for seniors
- GO TO: ORIJEN
- GO TO: NEWMAN’S OWN
- GO TO: BLUE BUFFALO
- GO TO: PETCUREAN NOW!
- GO TO: WELLNESS
- GO TO: ARTEMIS
- GO TO: HONEST KITCHEN
- GO TO: FROMM
- GO TO: WYSONG SENIOR
- GO TO: FLINT RIVER RANCH
Don’t forget that with age your dog will start having new and unique problems due to ageing.
Prevent and slow this process by first giving your elder dog an excellent nutritional supplement especially targeted to helping lameness, limping, and the many other problems he will surely have.
This Complete, All-Natural Nutritional Health Supplement for dogs of all ages is the best available today, and is what I give Lady and Lola daily.
IS MY DOG A SENIOR YET? – Dog Age Conversion Chart HERE. See how old your dog is in human years.
When dogs become older, their nutritional needs change. They become less active and need different nutrients, vitamins and supplements to ease or even help slow down the aging process. There are many highly rated dog foods made specifically for senior dogs.
Here is a list of my top recommendations of the best senior dog food for ageing pets.
All of these reviews have been carefully selected and chosen, based on the integrity of the company and the sourcing of ingredients.
Foods chosen here are natural, healthy, chemical free and of the highest quality using the best human grade ingredients.
If I wouldn’t feed it to my two girls, then I wouldn’t recommend it to you.
See a list of WORST DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS HERE. A good dog food will not contain any of the dangerous ingredients listed.
There are of course other excellent commercial dog foods available, but these are my top picks for senior dog food.
WHY I AM RECOMMENDING ORIJEN FOR SENIORS
Features and Benefits:
Studies show that it is more harmful than it is good to restrict protein in senior dogs, and the high quality proteins are needed for our older pets. Without enough high quality protein present in the diet, senior dogs lose lean body mass, become lethargic and develop a lowered immune system.
To supply the enhanced levels of rich meat proteins needed by elder dogs, Orijen Senior features the highest inclusions of fresh, never-frozen chicken, turkey, wild-caught fish and fresh whole eggs.
Loaded with protein-packed, government-inspected meats (minimum 70%) that form a Biologically Appropriate diet, Orijen is free of the grains or excess carbohydrates that are biologically inappropriate for your senior dog.
Made from regionally harvested fruits and vegetable and free-run human grade chicken and turkey, whole eggs and wild-caught fish
See my complete Orijen Dog Food Review here.
- Food used in this product is fit for human consumption
- No Outsourcing (100% China free)
- Fresh and Regional Ingredients only
- NO Chemical preservatives (BHA, BHT, or Ethoxyquin )
- Features 6 fresh meats (80%)
- Biologically Appropriate protein level (38%) (Orijen mimics the natural diet wild predecessors)
- Low in carbohydrates (25%)
- Natural antioxidants and phytochemicals
- No sunflower oil or flax – Dogs are meat eaters, and fats from animals, not plants are essential for their peak health. – Dogs are efficient at digesting animal fats, and as opposed to humans, animal fat does not cause high cholesterol or heart disease, but metabolizes as useful energy, healthy skin and coat, healthy immune function, and regulates the inflammation processes.
- Veterinarian selected botanicals that to support metabolism, strengthen internal organs and cleanse the body of toxins
Newman’s Own for Senior Dogs is a unique blend of proteins, whole grains, vitamins and minerals that maximize palatability, digestibility and nutrient assimilation. Feeding your dog high quality, largely organic food is the very best thing you can do for your pet’s health.
Recommended because of these Features and Benefits:
- *Made with natural, human-grade chicken
- * Contains organic brown rice, peas and carrots
- * Free of hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, herbicides and chemical additives
- * Naturally preserved with vitamin E
- * No artificial colors or flavor enhancers
- * No wheat or corn
- * Certified organic by Oregon Tilth
- * Complete and balanced nutrition
- * Protein levels support specific life styles and life stages
- * Omega fatty acids promote healthy skin and coat
- * Antioxidants maintain healthy immune system
- * Chelated minerals promote nutrient absorption
- * Probiotics support intestinal health * Crunchy kibble helps keep teeth clean
BLUE Life Protection Formula dry foods feature real meat, fish, or poultry as the first ingredient. They use whole grains, garden veggies and fruit, plus we add LifeSource® Bits, a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
BLUE LIFE PROTECTION CONTAINS:
- NO chicken or poultry by-product meals,
- NO cheap fillers, such as corn, wheat or soy,
- NO artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
BLUE LIFE PROTECTION comes in:
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Senior Dog Food is available in dry and canned formulas.
A meat-rich diet for dogs and cats
Inspired by their ancestors in the wild, BLUE Wilderness is made with more of the meat dogs and cats love.
Includes only the finest natural ingredients and contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, artificial preservatives, corn, wheat or soy.
Provides the enhanced supplementation of BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource® Bits, a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
A sensible alternative to a raw diet.
I’ve RECOMMENDED NOW! BECAUSE:
NOW! pet foods are formulated without meat meals, by-product meals, or animal fats and contains a safe moderate protein level, 26%, which is similar to the protein level found in a raw food diet.
NOW! Uses only 100% fresh meat. It is the only food on the market using no meat meal. Benefits to this are a fresher product, which comes from meats that are only cooked once and then turned into dog food with less handling and retention of more nutrients. NOW! uses coconut oil as opposed to chicken oil which makes it a render free product. In essence, NOW! dry food is a raw food diet in kibble form – right down to equivalent grams of protein per serving.
NOW! is formulated by certified nutritionists and is:
- 100% Grain Free
- 100% Render Free (Absolutely no rendered meats or oils)
- No Ethoxquin, BHA or BHT
- Digestive Enzymes Plus Pre & Pro Biotics
- Private, family owned company since 1999
- 80% of ingredients are regionally sourced in Canada by using local, family farmers to reduce long distance vehicle emissions & ensure fresher ingredients. Potatoes originate from Holland.
- Slow, steam cooked at a low temperature and in small batches, the fresh meat is only cooked once, which retains more nutrients, & there are no meat meals.
- Coconut Oil is used, which makes a good Candida formula
Wellness Super5Mix Just for Seniors Dry Dog Food Recipe:
- Supports Weight Maintenance
- Supports Hip & Joint Health
- Supports Skin & Coat Health
Wellness Super5Mix dog food formulas are free from meat by-products, animal fats, potential allergens like corn, soy and wheat as well as artificial colors, flavorings or preservatives.
Fruit & Veggie Antioxidant Rainbow – a proactive step in your pet’s nutrition
Omega 3 & 6 Mix – essential fatty acids for cellular function and healthy skin at guaranteed levels.
Botanical Blend – nature’s best ingredients each with their own nutritional properties.
Essential Vitamins & Minerals – designed for cellular health, immunity and disease resistance.
ActiCoat with Live Active Probiotics – added after the cooking process to promote a healthy intestinal tract and overall digestive health at guaranteed levels.
Artemis pet food is an all natural product. There is no artifical coloring, dye, or bleach.
- · Natural DHA (Enhances brain function and visual development)
- · Superior Grade Protein (All of the proteins are selected from USDA inspected plants)
- · Fresh Protein Inclusion (Chicken, Turkey- Enhanced nutrient profile and palatability)
- · Multi Protein Source (Covers the complete amino acid profile)
- · Select Vegetables and Fruits (Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Spinach and Cranberries)
- · Custom Vitamin & Mineral Package (Superior Vitamins and Chelated Minerals)
- · Balanced Level of Omega 3 & 6 (Vitally important for healthy skin and lustrous coat)
- · Probiotic/Prebiotic (Contains a source of live (viable) naturally occurring microoganism)
- · Skin & Coat Conditioners (Chicken Fat, Salmon, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Vitamin E & Biotin)
- · Natural (Does not contain any added chemicals, preservatives, artificial additives or by-products)
Most people with younger and more active dogs like to mix in the additional meat to THRIVE, but those with senior or overweight animals usually prefer to feed the organic dog food alone.
Thrive is Honest Kitchen’s all life stages diet that contains chicken and the gluten-free, organic grain Quinoa. A Bolivian grain, Quinoa is easily tolerated by even the most grain-sensitive pups and contains every single amino acid.
Thrive contains a minimal array of ingredients to accommodate the needs of dogs that can’t tolerate flax, potatoes, or high glycemic index fruits.
Alongside its Vitamins & Minerals, Thrive consists only of: Chicken, Organic Quinoa, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach, Parsley, Kelp, Rosemary. Good for all ages of dogs, Thrive is flax-free and lower in carbohydrates.
Made with real, recognizable, and human-grade ingredients that are ready to prepare and serve at home. Simply add warm water to rehydrate, and you have a complete meal with USDA meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, organic flaxseed, herbs, vitamins, minerals.
The Honest Kitchen’s dehydrated food offers many of the benefits of a biologically appropriate raw pet food diet, combined with the convenience and peace of mind of a nutritionally balanced, ready-blended product. Dehydration simply removes the moisture, which prevents decomposition. As an ancient form of preserving food, virtually all of the nutrients are left intact. This is a much “fresher”, and therefore healthier, approach than the extrusion process that dry kibble undergoes.
Gold Nutritionals® are prepared with fresh, human grade USDA-inspected duck, chicken and lamb or liver combined with fresh whole eggs and real Wisconsin cheddar cheese. We also enhance each recipe with salmon oil for a healthy coat and probiotics to help aid digestion.
There are NO common allergens such as corn, wheat, & beet pulp instead using oatmeal, pearled barley, brown rice, and potatoes. Fromm Gold is formulated with 100% natural ingredients and contains absolutely no artificial flavors or colors.
Each Gold recipe:
- Is Naturally Preserved
- Contains Muscle Meat as the Primary Protein Source
- Contains Fresh USDA Inspected Meat
- Contains Fresh Chicken and Duck
- Contains Probiotics and Prebiotics
- Helps dogs with mobility issues maintain good health and joint function by the addition of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
- IS All Natural, Oven-Baked Formula
- HAS NO artificial colors or flavors – NO Chemical Preservatives – NO Ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT – NO By-products
- Is Naturally preserved with Vitamin E.
- Made in the USA from All Natural Ingredients
Wysong Senior Dog Food is an excellent well-rounded starting point for older dogs.
Senior is an all natural dog food formulated for aged dogs, but can and should be fed to dogs of all life stages and breeds as part of a diet rotation.
As with all Wysong dry diets, Senior is replete with vital probiotics and enzymes, vitamins, and minerals which aid in digestion and nutrient uptake.
More from my site